Critical Home Repair
We offer critical home repair services to homeowners
so they can continue to live in safe, decent homes for years to come.
The Critical Home Repair Program offers home repairs and improvements necessary for restoring and maintaining safe living conditions and home values. This program is applicable for veterans, seniors, and those with a disability, or family circumstances who struggle to maintain the integrity of their homes. The program emphasizes support of aging people so their home can be made accessible. The initiative provides home repairs to prevent homeowners from suffering injury and falls, accidents or moving out of their home. Projects include interior or exterior work performed to alleviate critical health, life and safety issues or code violations, including a change to or repair of materials or components; a reconfiguration of space; a modification for accessibility and interior modifications; installation or extension of plumbing, mechanical or electrical systems on an existing structure. Volunteer teams, along with subcontractors, work under the direction of Habitat staff to complete the repairs.
- Are you living in challenging circumstances, which have created issues that are beyond what you can handle on your own?
- Are you struggling to keep your home in livable condition?
- Have you had to choose between paying for home repairs and food, medication, taxes, and basic utilities?
- Are you facing city code violations or homeowner insurance cancellation due to the condition of your home?
Once a homeowner’s eligibility is determined and their application is accepted, Habitat for Humanity of McHenry County’s Critical Home Repair program provides caring volunteer groups who work alongside assisting homeowners in making essential repairs to their home to keep it safe and livable.
- Family income must be between 30% and 80% of the McHenry County Area Median Income.
2022 Income Guidelines (Source: HUD)
|Family Size||Minimum Gross Income||Maximum Gross Income|
- Homes must be owner-occupied; rental properties are not eligible.
- Scope of work must match program resources.
- All able-bodied homeowners and residents of the home are requested to work alongside our volunteers.
- All property taxes must be current.
- Property insurance must be in force.
- Applicant must be a resident of McHenry County, IL.
- Homeowners are expected to be cooperative partners with staff and volunteers.
If you have any questions or need any assistance feel free to contact our Family Services team: firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-759-9002.